Created September 2015 - Updated April 2019
This course covers the foundation of OpenRefine and its scripting language GREL. You will learn how to:
- Use the facet/filter;
- Leverage OpenRefine point and click transformation and fuzzy matching function for quick but powerful data cleaning ;
- Write complex transformation in GREL, OpenRefine script language ;
- Call API and parse results in OpenRefine.
We developed the course in 2015 using OpenRefine 2.6-beta. We do our best to keep the content current with the latest version of OpenRefine. It is possible that some third-party services referenced in the course are not available any longer or have changed their interfaces. Please let us know if there is out of date information.
This course was developed by RefinePro in partnership with BigData University and Cognitive Class. Since 2011, RefinePro has developed training programs for OpenRefine, including free online courses, in-person or remote courses, and individual coaching sessions.
Learn more about RefinePro’s training here.
Course Developed By
- This course is free
- It is self-paced.
- It can be taken at any time.
- It can be taken as many times as you wish.
- Labs can be performed using a Linux, mac or windows machine. More details are provided in the lesson 1.5 Installing OpenRefine and Getting Started.
- You will need to create a free account on the tranzform platform to post on the forum or take the final quiz (optional)
Recommended skills prior to taking this course
- Familiarity with spreadsheet software and different data type (text, date, number)